Jaifal/Jaiphal or Nutmeg is a unique fruit that produces two different kinds of spices. One from its seed and the other from its arillus. The exotic spice is famous for its mesmerising sweet aroma and its uses in Indian cuisine. Originally it was harvested in India and the country is still the biggest transporter of the fruit. Kerala, Tamil Nadu, and Karnataka states in India harvest Jaifal. Along with Indonesia & India, Malaysia, China, Taiwan, South America, and some Caribbean islands also harvest the nutmeg or Jaifal.
Jaifal/Jaiphal is the only fruit that produces two different spices and is evergreen throughout the year. The two spices are Nutmeg- the seed and Mace- the hard skin on the seed. It gives an exotic flavour to your culinary soups, meat gravies, steaks, and desserts. It fits with everything and makes them more magical.
Not only the culinary properties but it is also rich in medicinal properties. Sadly most of us don’t know it very well. In this article from Ayurveda Sahi Hai, we will discuss the health benefits of Jaifal/Jaiphal as our ancient holy healing book proposes.
1. Skin Benefits of Jaiphal:
Jaifal is rich in several minerals, vitamins, and antioxidants. It has vitamins A and C, niacin, riboflavin, and cryptoxanthin, which are essential for health. Also, it has minerals such as zinc, calcium, copper, iron, and manganese that promote bone mineral density and promote red blood cells in the body. Since ancient times, Indians have been using Jaifal in their skin regime. Now you can gain the benefits of Jaifal for your skin.
2. Jaifal Reduce Pigmentation:
Pigmentation is everyone’s problem today. It occurs on our face due to extreme exposure to sunlight, ageing, hormonal changes, pollution, and some certain skin diseases. The ultraviolet rays and certain medications can also affect your face with pigmentation. Nutmeg has the ability to clear out these pigmentation and dark spots from your face. It decolorizes the spot and clears out the skin naturally in a few days.
Method to Use:
– Take Nutmeg powder, Lemon juice, and Yogurt.
– Mix all of them in a bowl and make a thick mask.
– Apply this thick layer onto your face.
– Leave it for 10-15 minutes and wash it off then with cool water.
– Apply a moisturiser on your face.
– Repeat this process 3 times a week.
3. Work as an Exfoliator:
Jaifal is also an excellent exfoliator due to its abrasive nature. The Jaifal removes pollutants from your face and makes it gentle & smooth. You only need to make a mixture of a few essentials from your kitchen and rub it on your face for a few minutes. Regularly doing this will make your skin glow and clean.
You will need honey, baking soda, clove oil, nutmeg, and lemon juice to make an extraordinary face pack of nutmeg.
Methods to Use:
– Mix honey and baking soda in a bowl.
– Add clove oil to the mixture and make a paste.
– Now add lemon juice & nutmeg into the mixture to make a fine layer face pack.
– Apply it on your face and rub it for 2-5 minutes. You may feel a warm sensation while applying this.
– Wash it off after the application with lukewarm water and pat dry.
4. Beneficial for Oily Skin:
Oily skin has the demerit of a high quantity of sebum on them. If you have one, you must try nutmeg for once. The open pores on your face warmly welcome pollutants in your skin resulting in dark spots and blackheads. Nutmeg helps shrink your pores, relieving you from pollutants. It helps to clean the dirt from the face and gives you clean healthy skin. It has anti-inflammatory & anti-bacterial properties that help prevent acne.
Method to Use:
– Take nutmeg powder & honey together and apply the mixture on your face.
– Leave it for 5-10 minutes.
– Wash it with cool water and pat dry your face.
5. De-age Your Skin:
Ayurveda has many secrets and one of these is Nutmeg with its anti-aging properties. Youthful skin is all we want. But regular exposure to pollution, free radicals, and oxidative stress make you look older than you actually are. Thanks to Nutmeg, you can de-age your skin. They are full of antioxidant & anti-inflammatory properties that fight off free radicals and oxidative stress which as result gives you a clean, wrinkled & fine-line-free face skin texture.
You will need Nutmeg powder, yoghurt, and honey to make this face pack for youthful skin.
Method to Use:
– Mix honey, nutmeg powder, and yoghourt in a bowl.
– Mix it well until they form a thick layer.
– Apply this mixture to your face.
– Wait for 10 minutes and then gently rinse it with cool water.
It is a Natural Toning Cleanser:
All beauty tips tell you to use a toner and cleanser. We repeat a toner cleanser set is important but buying a packaged product is not important. You have nutmeg powder and this is all you need to clean, moisturise, tone, and further reduce the signs of ageing as stated above. You only need some of the essentials from your kitchen and mix them well to use. Your homemade natural toner cleanser is ready to use.
Method to Use:
– Mix coconut milk or organic whole milk and nutmeg powder in a bowl.
– Apply it on your face and massage for a few minutes.
– The milk contains lactic acid that will leave supple & tight and glowing skin behind.
Ayurveda has mentioned Jaifal uses for skin very briefly. But it’s not the end. Jaifal has several other health benefits. They are for memory, sexual drive, pain, sleep disorder, toothache, cholesterol, and blood pressure. So many benefits of Nutmeg make it a must-have food in your regime. We have mentioned only the skin benefits of Jaifal in this article from the team of Ayurveda Sahi Hai. I hope this article has helped you with your curiosity. For more such informative articles, read more from us.